Well I’m a little bit late in updating this because of the Bank Holiday weekend – but better late than never. And speaking of which, what the hell happened to the weather? My winter clothes are starting to make a comeback already!
But it’s not all gloomy…I got my Slippery Souls manuscript back off my auntie on Saturday. She pointed out one or two things that I need to take a look at – but other than that I was relieved with her overall comments. I asked her to be brutal and to tell me exactly what she thought, and she said that the book wasn’t her cup of tea, because she normally wouldn’t read fantasy/vampire books – however it kept her interested throughout and she wanted to know what happened in the end.
My sister-in-law will be reading it through from this weekend onwards, so I will go through the manuscript altering a few more bits and pieces before sending over for her to beta read.
I’m going to take a look at GIMP this week too – which I’ve been told is free software comparable to Photoshop. Will give it a whirl – see if I can come up with some cover ideas for Slippery Souls.
And more good news is that I finished the first draft of my second book Monday – which came in at 75,000 words. I will wait until I’ve completely finished Slippery Souls before giving that a polishing. In the second draft I hope to make it more like 80,000 words. It was just an experiment to see if I could write a novel in a couple of months and to just see where the characters would take me (rather than planning the life out of it). I think I’m happy with the overall result, although it’s a completely different kind of book to Slippery Souls – so much so that I may use a different pen name for it.
I don’t have much more to report really, other than the Easington Writers are meeting with the publisher from Connoisseur Crafts on 8th September for definite – so I will make a list of all the questions I want to ask him myself. It’s all quite exciting at the moment.
Anyway, until next week…